In Partnership with Motul | Witham Motorsport

F1 news round-up: Summer break – Part 2

With F1’s summer break now almost at an end, F1.co.uk brings you a round-up of some of the top F1 stories ahead of next weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps…

Alonso says he “may look outside F1” for 2018, but only after considering “all possibilities”
August 17

Fernando Alonso says he may look outside F1 for 2018, if he “cannot see any project that will allow him to fight for wins”.

The Spaniard is coming to the end of his current three-year deal with McLaren-Honda and to date it has been a frustrating experiencing for the two-time F1 World Champion, who has yet to finish higher than fifth.

“Formula One is still my priority, it’s my life, and winning the world championship is what I’m hoping for,” Alonso told CNN.

“If I don’t see any project that will allow me to fight for the win though I will look outside F1 – but that’s [a decision I will make around] November-December. I will try all the possibilities before that…”

More here.

Toro Rosso-Honda talks end – reports
August 17

It now appears Honda will not supply Toro Rosso with power units next season after reports talks between the two have collapsed.

Speculation Honda could team up with Toro Rosso intensified after Sauber opted to cancel its 2018 deal with the Japanese manufacturer at the end of last month.

However it is now being claimed that Honda and Toro Rosso could not agree financial terms. It means Toro Rosso will continue to use Renault engines next year.

F1 needs a mix of free-to-air and pay TV, says Carey
August 16

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey says the sport faces “conflicting goals” as it looks to find a balance between free-to-air and pay TV.

“For us the goal is to maximise long-term growth, not to find a short-term pop. So I think we’re trying to balance what is the right mix of reach and direct economic value…” he told Motorsport.com.

More here.

Argentina set for F1 return…?
August 15

FIA race director Charlie Whiting has paid a visit to Buenos Aires to check out the track that last hosted the Argentine Grand Prix back in 1998.

Autosport has described the trip as an “informal visit” with Whiting advising circuit officials on what would need to be done for it to host a round of the championship.

Liberty Media is keen to increase the number of races over the next few years with Turkey, Portugal and a second race in the USA all being mooted.

More here.

Rosberg can’t see Ferrari keeping up with Mercedes in second half of season
August 9

Nico Rosberg reckons Ferrari will struggle to keep up with Mercedes during the second half of the season.

Speaking to SPORTBILD, he said: “Ferrari have done a great job over the winter, but now it will be a development race. I find it hard to believe Ferrari can keep up. After Silverstone I already thought: ‘That’s it now’.

“I was surprised that Ferrari was back in Hungary, but Spa will again be a full Mercedes track. Ferrari is unlikely to have a chance…”

More here.

Alonso to skip Singapore for Sonoma branded ‘fake news’
August 8

McLaren have dismissed speculation Fernando Alonso could miss the Singapore Grand Prix and instead take in the final round of the IndyCar Championship at Sonoma.

Zak Brown described the reports as “fake news”.

“It’s completely crazy,” he told Racer. “He would have to first make that request through us, which he has not, and that event conflicts with F1 in Singapore.

“It’s fake news.”

More here.

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment