Series Elite - Exclusive Racing Series and lifestyle Club

F1 news round-up ahead of the Hungarian GP

Ahead of this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix, F1.co.uk brings you a round-up of some of the top F1 stories over the last week…

Mercedes commits to Formula E
July 24

Okay, not strictly F1, but the announcement Mercedes will enter Formula E at the start of the 2019-2020 season, and as a result will quit the DTM at the end of next year, is still big news.

“In motorsport like in every other area, we want to be the benchmark in the premium segment and to explore innovative new projects. The combination of Formula 1 and Formula E delivers that,” explained Mercedes boss, Toto Wolff.

“Formula E is like an exciting start-up venture: it offers a brand new format, combining racing with a strong event character, in order to promote current and future technologies. Electrification is happening in the road car world and Formula E offers manufacturers an interesting platform to bring this technology to a new audience – and to do so with a completely new kind of racing, different to any other series.

“I am pleased that we were able to extend our entry option for one year to the 2019/20 season. This gives us time to properly understand the series and to prepare for our entry in the right way.”

More here.

Teams miss chance to buy F1 shares
July 24

Liberty Media has confirmed this week that the investment opportunity offered to Formula 1 teams to purchase up to approximately 19 million shares of Series C Formula One common stock has expired.

“We have been actively engaged with all teams to shape a shared vision for the sport that will create real value for all stakeholders. While the window for this particular investment opportunity has passed, we are pleased with the collaborative discussions we are having with the teams,” Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of Formula 1, said.

“These discussions will take time, but we appreciate their receptivity towards further aligning our incentives for the long-term benefit of the sport.”

More here.

Robert Kubica to test 2017 Renault F1 car in Hungary next week
July 24

Robert Kubica will test for the Renault Sport F1 Team at the Hungaroring next week following this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix, it has been announced.

News of the test will increase speculation the Pole could be on the verge of a comeback following the serious injuries he suffered in a rallying crash back at the start of 2011 that left him with limited movement in his right arm.

More here.

FIA explains Halo introduction
July 22

FIA says the halo system is going to be introduced into F1 in 2018 as it represents “the best solution to the issue of frontal cockpit protection currently in existence”.

More here.

Pirelli reveals cause of Vettel’s Silverstone tyre failure
July 21

Pirelli has concluded the analysis on Sebastian Vettel’s damaged front-left soft tyre, which affected him two laps from the finish of the British Grand Prix.

A statement from Pirelli read:

“As appeared clear since Sunday afternoon, a full investigation has now confirmed that the original cause of the failure was a slow puncture. The consequent driving back to the pits on an underinflated and then flat tyre led to the final failure.

“Kimi Raikkonen’s damaged tyre shows less evidence of what occurred, so further tests and analysis are still ongoing in Pirelli’s laboratories and indoor testing facilities. It will take a few more days to reach a definitive conclusion.”

Haas F1 confirms drivers for 2018
July 21

Gene Haas says the team will retain the services of Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen in 2018.

“We will run with the same drivers that we have this year again next year. That is a given,” Haas told the official Formula 1 website.

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment