Perez to remain with Force India in F1 2018

Sergio Perez will race with Force India again next season, it has been confirmed.

The announcement was made ahead of Sunday’s Singapore Grand Prix with the Silverstone squad revealing Perez will continue with them for a fifth successive season in 2018.

“Staying with Sahara Force India was always my priority,” said Perez, who was thrown an F1 lifeline by the team in 2014 after being dropped by McLaren after a single season.

“It’s a team that has allowed me to show my talents as a driver and I feel very happy here. I’m proud of everything we have already achieved together and I think there is more to come. The team has done an amazing job this year to develop the car and establish our position as the fourth best team in Formula One. In the end it was an easy decision to continue our journey together.”

Force India also re-confirmed that Esteban Ocon will remain with them, although it had already been announced last year that he was on a ‘multi-year deal’ when he joined the squad following a part-season with Manor.

“Sergio has played an important role in our success story over the last few years. Since joining us in 2014, he has matured to become one of the quickest and most consistent drivers on the grid,” said Force India team principal and managing director Vijay Mallya.

“His track record speaks for itself as the most successful Force India driver ever with four podiums.

“Alongside Esteban, retaining Sergio gives us stability going into next season and one of the most exciting driver pairings in Formula One.”

Perez is the latest name to re-sign, with Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Haas and Renault all now having confirmed their drivers for 2018. McLaren has also confirmed Stoffel Vandoorne with Fernando Alonso expected to re-sign following confirmation on Friday that the team will switch to Renault engines from next year. Williams, Toro Rosso and Sauber have yet to confirm their pilots for next season – although it is believed that Lance Stroll, Daniil Kvyat and Marcus Ericsson will all continue with their respective teams. Meanwhile, Red Bull junior Pierre Gasly is being tipped to get the seat at Toro Rosso vacated by Sainz with Robert Kubica rumoured to be one possibility for Williams, if Felipe Massa retires.

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment