Formula One News » F1 2013 – Fernando Alonso: Mercedes “favourites for Monaco” Posted on 13/05/2013
Fernando Alonso believes Mercedes will be the team to beat in Monaco and says it will be a “surprise” if they aren’t on pole at the 2013 F1 Monaco Grand prix after their current strong qualifying pace.
Alonso said “They will arrive as favourites for Monaco,” the Ferrari driver said. “They’ve been on pole position for the last three races; they were on pole last year with Michael’s [Schumacher's] lap, so it would be a surprise if they weren’t on pole position in Monaco.
“And as you said, it’s more difficult to overtake in Monaco, so maybe they can keep good positions for longer. It’s something we need to understand and we need to do a better job on Saturday, Felipe [Massa] and I, and Monaco is one of those places where we must do it.”
“I’m confident for Monte Carlo. Looking at the last three years, even when we were not competitive in Monte Carlo, we always managed to be on the podium, more or less, in a consistent way so that’s the aim for this year as well,”
“In the three trouble free races we’ve had this year we finished second in Australia, we won in China and in Spain so what we want to do is put together four or five consistent races with no problems and try to get some podiums in our pocket and score some good points, and I think in Monaco we can continue this trend.”